MicroCoal is a materials technology company focused on commercializing the use of microwave energy and related process technologies to transform coal and other minerals into higher quality and higher value industrial materials.
Our initial target market is the coal-fired segment of the North American electrical utility industry. Coal-fired power plants currently produce nearly 50% of the electricity in the U.S.A.
MicroCoal's proprietary on-site process cleans up coal at the power plant prior to combustion by reducing contaminates like sulfur and mercury and also improving fuel efficiency by removing water. This is helping to accelerate the existing trend of fuel switching to low-rank Powder River Basin (western) coals.
We are building on our extensive portfolio of patents pending and proprietary know-how and see significant growth potential into new geographies and new industrial markets.
We integrate proven industrial grade microwave technology together with proprietary material science know-how to create modular and scalable faciliies sized to meet each customer's needs.
The unique chracteristics of microwave energy alters the physical properties of coals driving out moisture, volatilizing contaminants, and rendering the coal suitable for further clean-up by other electro-mechanical process steps.
- On-site facility
- Near real-time processing
- Minimal additional on-site storage
- Close operational quality control
- Optimal production vs. energy use
- No attrition of treated coal during shipping
- Minimizes fire hazards (PRB coal)
- Retain fuel supplier flexibility
Enhances Fuel Switch Economics
- Reduces CO2
- Avoids or minimizes deratings
- Enables higher percentage PRB burn
- Improved plant efficiency (heat rate)
- Improved reliability - reduced maintenance
- Lower SOx emissions
- Lower NOx emissions
- Lower mercury emissions
- Lower ash production